Sunday, September 21, 2014

1 Peter

Peter was written to Jewish Christians and other Christians who were being scattered around because of persecution.  During this time, Nero was in charge and he was an extreme leader in Christian persecution. 

1 Peter was written to remind us that we will experience pain.  It is a given in this life, on this side of heaven.  It is how we choose to respond that matters.  Our response is a choice.  We don't have to be miserable

I say this to myself.  How I decide to deal with conflict, evil, scary things, etc. is my choice.  I can go on living a miserable existence or I can stand up and trust God.  It is a choice. 

In chapter 1, I learned that because of God's great mercy and grace, He is keeping for us an inheritance in heaven.  This alone should give us enough reason to be joyful. To keep our minds focused on this heritance, we need to be obedient to Christ and do not fall into the temptations of this world or conform to evil.  We should be holy (God is holy and He lives in us.  So, if He is living in me than I, too, can be holy.) We should love one another DEEPLY.  From the heart.  And remember the word of the Lord lasts forever, even though everything else in the world will fade away. 

Chapter 2:
  • we are reminded that we shouldn't be involved in sinful things
  • remember God is the Living Stone
  • I am chosen, royal, and holy
  • I belong to God
  • Do good, but only do it for God's glory
  • Live freely, but make wise choices
  • Remember-Jesus has healed me by His wounds
Chapter 3
Wives
  • have good behavior
  • be pure
  • be reverent
  • remember that God loves a gentle, quiet spirit (this is very valuable to God)
  • be submissive to Curtis-there IS great beauty in this
  • live in harmony, be sympathetic, compassionate, and humble
  • don't be ready to attack
Remember Mandy!!! The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their prayers.  But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.  Psalm 34:16

Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened. 1 Peter 3:14

Chapter 4
  • be clear minded
  • be self controlled
  • love deeply
  • be hospitable
  • speak the very words of God
  • speak with love
  • rejoice in the participations of the sufferings of Christ
  • don't be ashamed to suffer because I am a Christian, instead praise God that I bear His name
Chapter 5
  • be eager to serve
  • be an example
  • clothe myself with humility
  • be humble
  • "cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. v.7
  • be self-controlled
  • be alert
  • resist the devil
  • stand firm!
  • remember I am not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment