Tuesday, November 12, 2013

His Name

Yesterday I started a new Bible study with Good Morning Girls on Thanksgiving.  It is something I have desperately needed a focus on lately.  Being a stay at home mom on a tight budget because of past horrible financial decisions that we did not seek godly counsel on, I have found myself not being thankful and content with what I have been given.  Despite all the poor decision making I have made monetarily, God has still blessed us.  He has still provided a way that I can stay home and not have to work.  He has provided a roof over my head, and though it may not be decorated to my liking, it doesn't matter.  It keeps me warm when it is cold outside and cools me down when I am hot.  It keeps me dry and safe.  What more could I ask for, really? 

Yesterday I read 1 Chronicles 16:8-36.  In the beginning of that passage it says to call on His name and to glory in His name.  I realized that just being able to say His name, out loud, in my home, or in church or wherever I am is something I should be thankful for.  That thought came on no better a day.  A day to remember that that is a freedom that has been fought for by so many brave men and women, including both my grandpa's and my dad.  I can say His name and not be ashamed or scared.  Why don't I?  I have noticed that when you say Jesus over and over again, it may seem or feel weird at first, but it does bring along with it such a sense of peace and thankfulness.  Jesus...name above all names, glorious Lord.  Immanuel, God is with us.  Just uttering those words does a tremendous work on your heart. 

Then today I read Psalm 100.  Again, praising His name is mentioned, so obviously this is important for us.  But what struck me today on this was that He made us...He made us to worship Him.  I know in His original plan we were to direct all our thoughts, praise, and worship on Him.  But just as quickly as sin entered the world through a worship of a fruit, our focus became directed on ourselves, others, things, jobs, and not to God.  How often does my focus shift off of Him to someone or something else?  How often is my focus not even on Him?  He who made us.  He who is good always.

Father God, Jesus, Immanuel, You are worthy of my praise.  You want me to praise You with my mouth and meditate on You in everything I do.  Forgive me when I direct my focus and worship on worldly things.  Forgive me when I forget to be thankful for the kindness you have showered on me.  Forgive me this morning for waking up already irritated and not in a worshipful mood at all.  Thank you for redirecting my heart and mind on You this morning and helping me to remember Your goodness.  Jesus, I do take pleasure in Your name.  I am thankful for being able to worship You in the country I live in without fear.  I thank You for the brave men and women and their families for their costly sacrifice.  Father, I thank You for working out the timing of events in my life perfectly and wonderfully.  You have placed a wonderful, loving, kind husband in my life and given me  sweet, silly daughters.  You have allowed me to stay home, knowing that was a desire of my heart. Thank You so much. My heart is so full and it is all because of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment